Awards for the 53rd International Film Festival of Thessaloniki have been conferred by the International Jury Committee, giving the top prize, the Golden Alexander Theodoros Aggelopoulos-Best Feature Film Award, to the film Kapringen by Tobias Lindholm.
Yannis Papadopoulos was named Best Actor for his work in Boy Eating The Bird’s Food (To Agori Troi to Fagito Tou Pouliou) by Director Ektoras Ligizos, Greece, 2012.
The other awards given were:
- The Special Jury Award – Silver Alexander was presented to the film Kuf (Mold) by Ali Aydin, Turkey-Germany, 2012.
- The Special Jury Award for Originality and Innovation – Bronze Alexander was presented to the film Epiloge by Amir Manor, Israel, 2012.
- Best Director: Antonio Mendez Esparza for the film Aqui Y Alla, Spain-USA-Mexico, 2012
- Best Screenplay: Amir Manor, for Epilogue
- Best Actress: Julia Kijowska, for Loving, Poland, 2012
- Artistic Achievement: Zhit (Living) by Vasily Sigarev, Russia, 2012
- 1st Special Mention: Taboor, by Vahid Vakilifar, Iran, 2012
- 2ndSecond Special Mention: Tsvetat Na Hameleona (The Color of the Chameleon) by Emil Christov, Bulgaria, 2012
- Michael Cacoyannis Audience Award (for a film in the Greek films section): Papadopoulos and Sons by Marcus Markou, UK-Greece, 2012