The theatre, which has been restored to its former beauty, lies near the modern town Naousa.
It is believed that it was the focal point of the ancient town of Mieza, where Aristotle taught a young Alexander the Great between 343 BC and 340 BC.
The reopening will be commemorated with a performance of the famous ‘Iphigenia in Aulis’ play by Euripides, directed by Thodoris Gonis.
The theatre dates to the Late Hellenistic period, though the form in which it is preserved today belongs to the Roman times. It was built on a hillside with a panoramic view over the valley and its capacity is estimated at 1500 spectators.
The disperse building complexes, uncovered so far in various parts of the area, outline a rough picture of the Hellenistic town, though its boundaries cannot yet be delineated with precision.
The architectural remains belong mainly to buildings of a public character and it’s most likely that the nucleus of the ancient city, namely its agora, lay at the present rural site where the theatre also came to light.