The representation was about the most frightful pirate Kheir el-din Barbarossa, an admiral of the Ottoman fleet, whose mother was Greek, and he destroyed the whole fortified city in 1537.
The notorious pirate was the first to destroy Parga’s Venetian Castle. It was initially built in the 11th century by the residents of Parga to protect their town from the pirates and the Turks, but it was partly destroyed by such invasions. In the 13th century, the Venetians rebuilt the castle to fortify the area. In 1452, Parga was occupied by the Turks and destroyed part of the castle.
Then, in the 16th century, it was rebuilt for the fourth time by the Venetians, who made it a strong fortress.
They built eight towers outside the castle and two cisterns to supply the castle with water in times of war. When the castle including the whole town was sold to the Turks in 1813, it was fortified even more and obtained a new building called hamam at its top, where the harem of the Sultan would live.