Tourists Fall Sick at 5-star Rhodes Hotel in Greece as Virus Spreads



Hotel staff prepares medicine for the sick guests
Hotel staff is preparing medication to be distributed among sick guests.

A massive virus or food poisoning incident has been reported at the 5 star hotel “Lindos Imperial Resort and Spa” on the island of Rhodes.

It all started on Monday evening when several hotel guests, the majority of them from Israel and Russia, started feeling dizziness, began vomiting and having symptoms of diarrhea and fever.

According to a Russian Diplomat who gave information regarding the incident at the Russian news agency RIA Novosti, there are 50-70 Russian citizens among the hotel guests that have suffered from the virus.

Another patient from Israel has contacted Greekreporter.com and has given us information regarding the incident.

“It started on Monday evening, when dozens of guests, among them children, started vomiting on the hotel grounds.”

The hotel management has advised all sick guests to remain in their rooms after the virus spread.

“Now, approximately 400 guests are feeling sick and they are in a sense kept in isolation inside the hotel as they haven’t been transferred to Rhodes General Hospital for treatment” added the patient.

“Masses of anti-biotics have been distributed to the guests and the symptoms are still there,” the guest said.

The Lindos Imperial, which is under scrutiny since Monday evening, did not give us any information on the incident, as the manager of the hotel was constantly too busy to answer our call.

The symptoms are not threatening any guest’s life but it is still unclear how this virus has been spread.

One of the private doctors that visited the hotel guests- who prefers not to be named but whose contact information is on our disposal- said that the hotel did not refer to the local state hospital for help, but to private doctors, since the guests’ symptoms were not so severe and did not want to give alarming publicity to the incident.  However, he assured us that the symptoms were not life-threatening in any case and that the guests are all recovering.  He further added that his personal view is that the incident was not caused by food poisoning but rather from a virus spread in another way.

“The hotel doctor (or one that was hired by the hotel) that checked my wife and many other guests, said he feels it is not a virus but a food or water poisoning.” the guest added.  Some guests further suggest that the virus was spread by the pool water.

This, however, comes in contraction with the official statement issued by the hotel management and is cited below:
The Hotel's Announcement