One dead and two in critical condition are among the 38 people who suffered food poisoning after a baptism party in Aspra Spitia, Viotia, in central Greece.
The baptism party was held on Saturday and afterwards 38 people were transferred to the hospital with severe gastroenteritis symptoms. Health experts claim it was salmonella that caused the mass food poisoning.
According to local website lamiareport.gr, a 55-year-old man died in the hospital while two others are in intensive care. The 23-year-old son of the man was transferred to an Athens hospital for treatment, while another guest is in intensive care at a Lamia hospital.
Viotia authorities are investigating the restaurant to find which foods had salmonella and who is responsible for serving the dangerous foods.
A guest who spoke to lamia.gr believes the salmonella was in a specific feta cheese because all the people who ate it ended up in the hospital, while those who didn’t eat the particular cheese showed no gastroenteritis symptoms whatsoever.