Here are 3 easy to make recipes that will help cool you down and provide you with a healthy alternative treat using Greek yogurt.
Tart Cherry Frozen Yogurt
¾ cup frozen tart cherries
2 cups full fat Greek yogurt
1 can full fat coconut milk (refrigerated so you can use only the solid part)
⅔ cups cane sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon sea salt
Extra tart cherries
Toasted sliced almonds
1. (Let the cherries thaw on your countertop while you mix your yogurt base if you use frozen cherries).
In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt with the coconut milk solids, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Whisk until well combined then pour the mix into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
2. Use a fork or a potato masher to gently break up the tart cherries. Add them to your ice cream maker toward the end of the churning time so they swirl throughout but are not completely broken down. You can eat it soft-serve right away or pour it into a container and freeze it for 30 minutes to firm it up and then enjoy your healthy, cool treat!
Frozen Yogurt-Covered Blueberry Kabobs
1. Stack the blueberries on the skewers leaving enough room at one side to handle.
2. Roll the blueberry filled skewer over a bowl of Greek yogurt to cover them completely.
3. Place them in a jar or parchment paper in the freezer. Once frozen, enjoy!
Vanilla Cheesecake Popsicles
8 ounces light cream cheese
1/2 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 cup 2% milk (or other low-fat milk)
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
1. Place all ingredients into a food processor. Note: To scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean, cut through one layer vertically with a paring knife and then using the back of the knife, scrape down the inside of the bean to remove the seeds. Add seeds to mixture and discard the rest of the bean. Also: Adding some fresh cardamom adds a super vanilla and fragrant flavor to the bars. You can add a small pinch of ground cardamom, just remember, a little goes a long way!
2. Pulse until ingredients are completely blended. Divide mixture between eight popsicle molds and add sticks, just as you would to make popsicles. Freeze for 3 to 4 hours, until solid.
3. Remove from the mold and enjoy!