The Times Higher Education’s global league table of universities released its international rankings placing the University of Oxford in the top position, pushing the California Institute of Technology into second place. Greek universities lagged behind the 301st position, with the University of Crete being the most illustrious of Greece.
The universities were ranked according to the level of teaching, research, citations and international outlook, characteristics that Oxford topped across the board.
The top 10 were as follows:
- University of Oxford (UK)
- California Institute of Technology (USA0
- Stanford University (USA)
- Cambridge University (UK)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA)
- Harvard (USA)
- Princeton (USA)
- Imperial College London (UK)
- ETH – Zurich Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Switzerland)
- University of California (Berkeley)
While Asian university rankings were climbing, Greek universities were lagging behind: