There is a very high (category four) fire risk for Sunday for many parts of Greece, the country’s civil protection service has warned.
The General Secretariat for Civil Protection has informed all state services, municipal and regional authorities of the high fire risk. At the same time, authorities are instructing people to avoid behaviour that could result in any wildfires, such as carelessly discarding lit cigarettes or burning branches or dry grass.
The areas facing a high risk of fire on Sunday include:
– The islands of Chios, Lesvos in the North Aegean
– The islands of Evia and Skyros
– The prefecture of Viotia in mainland Greece
– The prefectures of Corinthia and Argolis in the Peloponnese and
– The entire region of Attica
The department also called on people to call the Fire Brigade on 199 for to report fires and wildfires, and referred them to its web page (https://www.civilprotection.gr/en) for further information.