In a strongly-worded statement issued on Thursday morning, the Greek Foreign Ministry responded to the provocative statements made by Hulusi Akar, Turkey’s defense minister and a former four-star general in the Turkish armed forces. Akar had previously stated that ”Ankara will not accept any definite actions in the eastern Mediterranean and any Greek intervention in Turkey’s activities in the region.”
In response, the Greek Foreign Ministry said that “the delimitation of the Greek Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) will be established in its totality on the basis of international law, not by taking into account groundless and arbitrary theories adopted by the offender of international law, Turkey.”
The Greek statement noted that for issues related to demilitarization, Greece’s positions on the issue are indubitable and are exclusively based on international law and the UN Charter. The statement further noted that Greece will not be drawn into a competition of aggressive rhetoric, calling upon neighboring Turkey “to act with the appropriate seriousness and with dedication to the principles of the international law and the UN Charter.”
This was the second such statement issued by Greece’s Foreign Ministry in two days. On Wednesday, Alexandros Yennimatas, spokesperson of the Greek ministry of foreign affairs, said that ”arbitrary interpretations of international law and threats of violence on the part of Turkey, as well as challenging the legal rights of our country, neither alter this fact nor contribute to good neighborly relations.”
With information from A.M.N.A.