Ursula von der Leyen, the President of the European Commission, said that the risk of a European COVID19 Coronavirus outbreak has risen from moderate to high on Monday morning, as Portugal was the latest EU member state to report incidents of the viral disease.
The President said that the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control increased the risk level from moderate to high for people living in the European Union. ”In other words, the virus continues to spread,” von der Leyen noted.
The Italian Civil Protection Chief and Coronavirus Emergency Commissioner Angelo Borrelli said on Monday that a total of 52 people had died in the country so far, bringing the total toll to 58 across Europe.
In Greece, the National Committee for Public Health Protection against the COVID-19 recommended the suspension of operation for 28 schools that have groups of students who have returned from school trips to Italy recently.
Watch the press conference live from the EU Emergency Response Coordination Centre on the EU's response to #COVID19.
— European Commission 🇪🇺 (@EU_Commission) March 2, 2020
In the meantime, the Greek state announced that it will begin sending informational e-mails giving pertinent Coronavirus updates to all Greek citizens, using its Tax Revenue authority database.
The e-mail will include FAQs, or frequently asked questions, about the virus and guidelines concerning the steps individuals should take to avoid contracting it.
Greece has recorded seven positive cases of the Covid-19 virus thus far, with three victims in the city of Thessaloniki and four in Athens.
The nation of Italy, however, remains the epicenter of the European outbreak, as the majority of the recent cases diagnosed in the European Union are connected in some way to Italy.