The American Embassy in Athens and the American Consulate General in Thessaloniki issued a travel warning on Wednesday for US citizens who currently are visiting or will soon visit the islands of Lesvos, Chios, Samos or the border area in the county of Evros.
”Large numbers of migrants and refugees are gathered at multiple locations along the Greek-Turkish border. Roadblocks and protests — including some violent clashes — have broken out and continue to occur on the island of Lesvos and the land border in the Evros region. The Embassy has received reports of violence against US citizens attempting to travel in Lesvos,” the Embassy stated on its website.
”The Embassy is in contact with the local authorities regarding the safety and security of US citizens in these locations. At this time, there are no changes to the travel policy for US government personnel or to consular services,” it concludes.
The US Embassy included a list of actions that American citizens should take in the locations listed. These are:
- Consider departing the area if you feel your personal safety is at risk
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on US government assistance
- Follow instructions from local authorities
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
- Monitor local media for updates