Greece announced on Wednesday that all archaeological sites in the nation, which were closed for two months as part of the country’s coronavirus containment measures, will reopen to the public on May 18.
Culture Minister Lina Mendoni said that new visitor rules will be put in place to ensure safety standards for the protection of employees and visitors. The specific regulations and measures would be announced in the coming period after the assessment of all data.
The move follows Tuesday’s announcement by Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis that the government was easing lockdown measures in an attempt to get life in Greece back to normal.
Mendoni said that the Culture Ministry had already prepared an action plan that will ensure the safe operation of cultural sites and protect guests, with specially-designated distancing measures depending on each individual site and the public spaces it has.
The Minister added that creating safer ticket access was also addressed during the meeting as well as the operation of cafes, sales points and shops at the archaeological sites.